Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Pity Party

All right, I'll just be out with it. In the past months of blog posts, I have tried to avoid outright complaining. "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." Notice those longs stretches when I posted nothing but political analysis news articles? I was trying to keep my mouth closed and my blog relatively positive, so that I can look back on this time with rosy nostalgia. What an adventure for the young couple! How interesting and exciting, for Teresa to have an opportunity to explore yet another continent! What a fascinating experience, to live in Asia at a time when much of the world's economic and intellectual resources are shifting eastward!

I could do a post outlining the scientific studies on "culture shock", which is considered a valid and real experience for emmigrants. I certainly have considerably more empathy and respect for those who endeavor emmigration to America. English is a near-indescipherable language and most Americans' outright aggressiveness would be a shock (and will probably be challenging for us, when we go through "reverse culture shock"). My opinions have solidified about the dubiosity of legalizing an official "national language". The truth is, migration happens for many reasons and immigration will increase dramatically in the coming decades, due to economic inequalities, environmental climactic change, and warfare. It will be a major factor in the 21st Century, and we should make the most of it.

All that being said, I am tired. I am tired of my heart being stretched by sending love-messages across oceans. I am tired of constantly asking myself, in the face of cultural differences, "should I change to accommodate, or hold steady to my own culture?" I am tired of a year filled with the most significant (and disparate!) health issues in my life. I miss natural foods stores. I am tired of bad beer, white bread, and processed cheese. I am tired of being asked "How long will you stay in Japan?" -- i.e., when will you leave? I am tired of Japanese pop -- wait, no, I still think J-pop is hilarious. . . But I am tired of paying $200/month for a heating bill and still seeing my breath indoors. I am tired of feeling so indebted to my supervisor, who sacrifices so much to help illiterate-helpless me. I miss worshiping and singing in spiritual community. And I am so so so sad to be far away from my family and friends, who have had to wave goodbye to me on all these crazy adventures.

4 comments:

Mali said...

I miss you, my beautiful friend. I'm sorry your year has been so hard. You're on the home stretch! I'm gonna find a way to see you SOON when you come back! I know I'm not the best at staying in touch, but know that I think about you ALLTHETIME and miss Teresa hugs big time.
xoxoxox from across the seas,
~A

Tracey said...

Hey, there -
My aunt pointed me in the direction of your blog, seeing as that I'm also an American in Japan. It looks like you're maybe in Hokkaido? I was just up there for the Yuki Matsuri this past weekend. I live down on the other end in Nagasaki, on Kyushu. (but don't worry - most of the time I've been colder here than I was in Sapporo!) I just wanted to say hello and a big "I know what you mean, yo!" as far as your pity party goes! This is my second year, and 2 months in to my first my mom passed away. So it's been a little rough. I just keep reminding myself of what she used to say, though - 'that which doesn't kill us makes us stronger' - so, by the end of all this, I guess I'll be really strong...
When I get really stressed, though, I just try to focus on the little things...ume blossoms just starting to peek out, the sound of the hot water bubbling in a tea pot, the way the sun hits the water, the stillness of a shrine, the way the koi tickle the surface of the water...you get the idea.

Well, I need to get back to work - good luck with your injuries and surviving the sub-zero temperatures!

Feel free to browse my pages -
www.thejapanjournal.blogspot.com

mata, ne!
Tracey

Elizabeth M. said...

Thanks for letting us in on the tough stough (I mean, stuff! Seriously, I spelled it "stough" without even thinking!! You're right, English is totally indecipherable). You are amazing and strong, and it's totally okay to be tired of needing to expend so much energy just to live. It's difficult enough staying on one's toes when the culture is familiar, let alone dodging all those things there.

xoxo
E

The A-Team said...

thank you for your honesty, teresa. i am so proud of you for trying this new adventure and for braving all the chaos you have experienced in recent months. "this too shall pass..." i wish i could come out and see you, and snuggle with you to warm you up in your frigid apartment. but bb won't let me. perhaps you'd like to tiptoe through the tulips with us out here in holland?

we're sending lots of love and warm thoughts your way. we are so proud of you!