This really is a foreign land, and there are plenty of opportunities to embarrass myself. Some examples:
1. In my first week in Furano, we were taken to meet the mayor. Quite an honor. I came bearing gifts, bowed and clumsily fumbled with the proper Japanese greetings. We sat to chat. The mayor was impressed to learn that morning I had already taken a stroll along the local Sorachi River. He said that Furano is known for its delicious water and lack of crows (because city services keep the trash picked up). I wasn't quite on my toes at that point and mentioned that I had seen several crows out on the river that very day. Disagreeing with the mayor was probably not the best first impression. . . but that water sure is delicious!
2. I was visiting my acupuncturist and went in to use the toilet. In Japanese homes they place little slippers in the toilet-room so that you don`t dirty your socks/feet by touching the floor. The slippers in the acupuncturist office are particularly fluffy and cute; I think they have cartoon characters on the toes. When I finished my business I forgot that I had the slippers on and walked out into the treatment room with the slippers still on! That is basically the most disgusting thing one could do.
3. Sometime just before our Thai vacation, my supervisor was aware that we were tight on money and apparently told his boss this fact. The boss, who is a weird-but-nice guy, paid for one of my expenses with the equivalent of $300, as a loan. I didn`t want the gift and as soon as I discovered the fact I withdrew $300 in new bills to return the money. I looked in the stationary section of the office supplies and chose a pretty little envelope. I placed the envelope on his desk and painstakingly wrote, in Japanese, `thank you very much`. There was some flurry in the office. A few hours later they asked me why I had put the envelope on my boss` desk, and I explained I was paying him back. Apparently the envelope I had chosen is specifically used for funerary gifts. When Japanese people give funerary gifts, they choose new bills if the death is unexpected. I laughed and apologized profusely. They didn`t really laugh. . . they just thought I was very very weird.
4. There is a teacher who I really like. She sings and I have attended one of her concerts at the local city hall. After the winter holiday vacation I noticed that she had gotten a very flattering new haircut. I was trying to compliment her on the haircut and said kawaii soo かわいいそお. I thought this meant `it is so cute`, but, unfortunately because of an irregular usage of this particular adjective, I actually said `wow, that is too bad`. The whole office stopped moving when I made the mistake, and the teacher`s face turned bright red. My JTE quickly corrected my mistake and everyone laughed. (I hope the teacher forgives me. . .)
5. I eat apples りんご, whole. This habit is not particularly noteworthy where I come from, but apparently Japanese people find this to be extremely distasteful. In Japan, if one eats an apple one cuts it into exacting pieces. I am unsure the gravity of my offense, but my students stare open-mouthed as I eat apples in the lunchroom. Here if one eats a mandarin orange みっかん, one carefully opens the peel in the shape of a flower, so that the flower-peel can be folded together and neatly discarded. As a general rule, people here do not eat raw vegetables. Our friend Ido has taken to purposely shocking his students by bringing a whole carrot to school lunch, and eating it like a horse.
This is "grassroots internationalization" at its best and worst.
3 comments:
Oh my goodness....
Okay, so I'm wondering something. You know when there's a foreigner in the U.S., and they do something that's uncustomary or out of place--don't we usually just shake it off and say, "Well, she's not from around here, how would she know?"
I know, I know, everyone's different. And I know, I know, my U.S.-American ethics don't pertain elsewhere (obviously, as you can attest, T). But I'm beginning to understand, through your stories, just how much more welcoming the (part of the) U.S. (that I know) seems to be. Or to say it another way, how isolationist Japan has made itself because of centuries of it's own cultural inheritances. And I know, I know, we can, of course, have our problems, too....
OMG! adam and i are laughing soooo hard! we're all like "HA HA HA HA HA saaaaad!"
poor baby. sorry it's so silly there.
Followup:
1. The mayor did forgive me and defended me heartily during the year. So much so that the mayor almost fired my racist boss in June, as a result of his unkindness/abuse of me. The mayor was probably also on 'my side' because I made Furano slightly more famous with the recording of the G8 CD.
2. My acupuncturist Murai-sensei did forgive me. I visited him about twice a month, and he came to know me (and my numerous injuries) better than perhaps any other person in town. By the end of the year we were able to have full conversations in Japanese for our hour-long sessions.
3. Ouchi-san is a weird guy, but was very very kind to me this year. He tried hard.
4. Sadly, I don't think the teacher ever forgave me.
5. By the end of the year, my students actually HOPED I had brought an apple to lunch so they could see me eat it. Every day the students would look in my lunchbox to see what strange food I would eat. (They all ate the same meals together, but I brought vegetarian lunch.) Some of the more gregarious kids made a daily game of looking into my lunchbox and promptly stealing my granola bar or piece of fruit... and then running around the halls showing everyone the treasure. I often shared parts of my food (raisins, fruit, granola, etc) with students. They weren't so happy about the soups or chili, though.
Post a Comment