Friday, February 01, 2008

Japanese Work Culture, an Update

I`m learning, but I do not like what I am learning. Apparently the situation I am in is not unusual in Japanese culture. Although I have felt threatened and isolated recently, I am learning that this does not need to be the case; they do not have anything against me as an individual. My office has been very clear that they will NOT help me get to work, and that I must give proliferate and profound apologies for the inconvenience of my injury. I was forced to promise that I will pay for TAXIS to and from schools (prohibitively expensive), although previous to the injury I drove the work car every day. Bewilderingly, ever since I promised that I would pay they have been giving me rides to schools. I am so confused. . .

From what I now understand, the Japanese cultural rule is this:

If one is injured at work or school, then the school or employer will assist the injured person, including paying for medical expenses and anything else needed. (Similar to our "worker`s compensation".)

If one is injured outside of work or school, whether on vacation or just after hours, then the school or employer is not obligated to provide any assistance at all. The injured person must do everything "by one`s own strength" -- and expense. The injured person must be responsible, and apologetic, for any inconvenience the injury might cause anyone else. Shame and suffering are side-effects of any off-the-clock injury. In this culture, the good of the group holds primacy over any individual experience. Of course there are benefits to this system of community-over-individual, but the system is a challenging shock to this American girl.

Now that I am returning to schools (hooray!), people are kind and sympathetic. Kids, especially, are sensitive and helpful. But, I do notice that when people hear the story of my injury, they break eye contact when they know it was off-the clock. (Why would anyone stop working?) Especially because I was out of the country. (Why would anyone ever wish to go outside Japan?) It is likely my interpretation of their reaction is over-sensitive and inaccurate; the result of what feels like a month of severe beatings and prostrations. Certainly, I have lost my rose-tinted glasses.

The positive is that my wounds ARE healing. My two broken bones are fusing quickly. The top of my foot has almost finished growing new skin, and my elbow and shoulder are getting better. This hard cast on my foot will be off on February 12. Nick's hip is also healing and he has almost no pain. We are on the mend!

No comments: