Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Scary!

What do the people of Hokkaido consider to be scary, あぶない, こわい?

Bears - くま - People seem to be simultaneously fascinated with and afraid of bears. If a bear ventures out of the plentiful-but-diminishing Hokkaido forests, the bear is shot.
Unpackaged food - Japanese people like packaging because they believe that Japanese factories are immaculately clean, and packaging prevents contamination in transport.
Speaking in public, or voicing an opinion - Generally, it seems Japanese students prefer to stay out of the limelight. The nail that sticks up, has its head pounded in.
Travel outside of Japan - Because everywhere else is dangerous (and uncivilized).


What am I afraid of, in Japan?
Driving and Japanese drivers - O M G. Why do they feel free to park in the middle of the road, at any time? Why do they turn haphazardly and without signals? I must admit, my observations here support the racist stereotypes about "Asian drivers". In a country with so many societal rules, there are very few road rules that are actually honored.
Medical care - I have found that medical care here is much less reliable than what I am accustomed to. In a couple cases, I found the sanitation level to be deplorable and dangerous. Because doctors receive such a high level of respect/power, patients do not feel free to ask questions, offer their own preferences, or refute what a doctor might say. Recently, Japanese news has highlighted some medical malpractice cases which the hospitals traditionally hide with changed medical records and coerced nurses supporting the doctors' stories.

And what, in my experience, do Americans worry about?

Theft - Once in Seattle, our rental car was broken into and all our belongings were stolen. My office in downtown Portland was also broken into. The northwestern United States is particularly targeted in theft due to the epidemic of methamphetamine users in our region. In the U.S. most people lock up their belongings and homes.
Violent crime - In my three years living on MLK Boulevard in Portland, I heard gunshots at least a dozen times. I understand that many children, nowadays, are not allowed to play outside for fear of kidnapping. Rape, especially acquaintaince rape and date rape, are extremely common in the U.S. Violence and abuse are rampant in our country.
Terrorism - Apparently this fear is so out-of-control that people feel justified in starting wars over it. Clearly, bombing innocent people is not an effective strategy, but I digress.
Loss of privacy - I do not believe there is enough wide-spread concern about our loss of civil liberties as a result of the current presidential administration's policies. But some are rightly worried and engaged in this fight.

What do I think we SHOULD worry about?
Global climate change.
Nuclear weapons and other weapons of mass distruction. NO ONE should make or have them, and the U.S. is primarily responsible for this massive sin.
Violence and abuse in American homes, schools, communities, and government.
Disconnecton from nature and one another. Loss of empathy. Loss of physical wellbeing. Disrespect for the earth and other beings on it.

No comments: