Saturday, November 03, 2007

Cervical Dysplasia: How to Heal

This is a bit off-topic from my typical blog posts, and more personal than what I usually share, yet I feel it is important. In the interest of assisting those who may have to face this frightening diagnosis, I will tell you a bit of my story.

In June I was diagnosed with severe cervical dysplasia. Abnormal cervical cells are very common, especially for smokers and/or women on the Pill. In June I had a biopsy, colposcopsies, and a LEEP procedure. In August we moved to Japan anyway. In addition to packing, moving, and the culture shock of adjusting to a new country, we've been dealing with the worry. . . what if it had progressed to cancer? This October I had follow-up examinations that determined my cells are normal and healthy again.

Some helpful sites, if you find yourself in a similar situation:

http://www.milliesays.wordpress.com/2007/09/16/hands-on-health-for-hpv/
http://www.torihudson.com/?p=33


My list of integrative, helpful healing aids:

1. I asked for loads of love/support/prayers from my community. At times when I've felt overwhelmed with worry and was unable to just "be positive", I knew someone else was doing the positive thinking for me. (Many thanks, my people.)

2. I chose a loving, emotionally supportive, stable romantic relationship.

3. I made some major changes in my life, removing myself from situations where I felt blocked/unproductive/limited. I chose my own destiny, instead of my previous habit of taking the 'best of bad options' or 'whatever came up'. According to Dr. Christine Northrup, women who experience vaginal/uterine cancer are often simultaneously struggling with feelings of disempowerment.

4. I received several treatments with a Rife Electromagnetic device, while focusing positive thoughts toward my healing. You can read more about Rife at:
http://www.rife.de/
http://www.cancer.org/docroot/ETO/content/ETO_5_3X_Electromagnetic_Therapy.asp

5. Nutritional supplements are good for everyone, but especially helpful for overcoming abnormal cervical cells:
*Folic acid (important for all young women, especially if you're on the pill)
*B6
*B12
*E with selenium
*Zinc
*Calcium with D (important for all women)
*Mushroom supplements -- reishi, shitake, himematsutake, maitake
*a good Multi-vitamin

6. Regular acupuncture for immune system support. If you live in Portland, I highly recommend Inner Gate Acupuncture.
http://www.innergateacupuncture.com/
Since arriving in Furano, I have been receiving Japanese acupuncture which uses less needles and more acupressure.

7. I challenged my body with some serious exercise. I breathed in good air and felt proud of my strength.


I don't know which factors contributed to my healing, but I am grateful for all of it.

If you have any questions, you can email me or leave a comment. I moderate my comments, so if you wish for your message to be private, please indicate so and I will keep it so.

2 comments:

Elizabeth M. said...

Wow, T. Thanks for sharing all those resources. I liked getting a bigger picture of what you were doing to heal, and that one of them was intentionally removing yourself from limiting situations. Stress and energy blockage make a -huge- difference in our lives.

And with deep, continued gratitude for your health and for the reminders you gave us in this post, I, too am going to de-stress myself and go to bed right now. I've heard that ministers have a higher rate of breast and prostate cancers because of the stress of our jobs, so I am practicing self-care as early as I can.

Much love to you and your healthy body.

The A-Team said...

i am so so so grateful that you are healing and taking care of your body and spirit. as a bodyworker, i am not at all surprised to hear dr. northup's comments on how disempowered women can typically manifest that energy in their sexual organs... it's amazing how in-tune the body is with the mind and the spirit and the heart, and how it will manifest imbalance in physical ways. regardless, i'm thankful that you are on a path of wellness and wholeness. i will continue to light candles for you at my mary altar. i love you!