Saturday, July 14, 2007

New Jersey and New York: A New Perspective

This past week Nick and I repacked our suitcases for an eventful journey to New Jersey and New York. It was our first trip there, and our first opportunity to meet my three older sisters. Julie and her husband Jeff hosted us in New Jersey, just a few miles from NYC. My sisters are wonderful people and a lot of fun. This meeting meant a lot to us.

I was pleasantly suprised to learn that suburban New Jersey is not at all like the bland cookie-cutter burbs of the Midwest and West. The small suburban towns we visited had their own unique flavor, history, and economy. Nick was able to go fishing in a nearby pond. Julie and I and her kids visited a beautiful wetland sanctuary with cranes, turtles, and many frogs (the best indicator of a wetland's health).
http://www.nwf.org/frogwatchusa/display.cfm?showState=nj&showSite=1535

And, oh, New York City! We didn't really care much for some of the 'must-see' buildings, but had a great time exploring an amazing street fair, Chinatown, Little Italy, and Central Park. Fortuitously, in Bryant Park we happened upon an incredible Japanese Buddhist celebration/dance honoring ancestors. On this trip we only were able to have two half-days in NYC; next time we want to see the museums (Natural History, MoMa, The Met), Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty, and more of Central Park. Although I can't imagine living there, we definitely want to visit again.

1 comment:

Elizabeth M. said...

Hey, you were in Chinatown and Little Italy! The bike shop I've worked at is right nearby there. I've ridden my bike through those places to get to work. I've even talked to you on the phone from places in those neighborhoods!

It's nice to know that you were there, even if you didn't know utnil that I had been.

Glad those visits went so well.