Saturday, July 14, 2007

Home on the Range

This weekend Nick, Mom and I drove out to central Nebraska to visit my family and see my ancestral homestead. My family is from Lindsay in east-central Nebraska. Our family homestead has been farmed by three generations of innovative and successful farmers.

We were hosted by my Aunt Linda and Uncle Larry, at the home where I learned to crawl and walk as a baby. Nick and I had a great time riding their horses (thanks, Larry!).

We picked up my Grandma Isabel and visited our family farm (where my incredible Uncle Tom and Aunt Julie raise the next generation). Grandma continues to be a talented seamstress, embroiderer (sp?), and quilter. With amazing intelligence and minimal education, my grandfather Ted taught farming practices at the University (he sucessfully fostered the first test-tube calf in the world). I'm quite proud of our family.


On the drive back from Lindsay we stopped at the Benedictine Mission House and Monastary in Schuyler, Nebraska. http://www.benedictinemissionhouse.com/mission.htm

We are happy to UNPACK our luggage and be at home for two more weeks before our departure for Japan. Still much to do, but I'm glad I've had the opportunity to see so much of this country, and my loved ones, before we leave.

Hey! Happy birthday to my brother Chris!

2 comments:

Elizabeth M. said...

I remember doing those exact same things when I visited Omaha back in the day--riding the horses in Lindsay, visiting the monastery, meeting your relatives. I truly am glad to know that some things never change.

teresa said...

yes, darling, only the best for you! i'm so glad you got to see all of that with me.