Tonight Kala, Nick and I went on a field trip to Iowa. It's 10 minutes away but few self-respecting Omahans ever go there. Well, I suppose that rule has now changed: where there once were cornfields and a few odd trees, Iowa has now grown casinos. Big, smoky, flashing-light, money-sucking casinos. Very exciting! I don't enjoy gambling (1- games with rules I don't know or care to learn, 2- flashing lights and blaring screens, 3- zombies everywhere you look) but I do enjoy the odd cultural field trip. And I'd been looking foward to eating at an American-style buffet sometime before we left the States. Hooray for disgusting gluttonous buffet food! I tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth: the following is a list of the foods Nick and I consumed, or tasted, in the course of 2 hours:
Iced tea, lemonade, broccoli, marinated mushrooms, green olives stuffed with pimentos, cottage cheese that tasted like it had been sweetened with sugar, canned peaches in syrup, beets, cucumber, potato salad, tapioca, a 'dinner roll' that tasted like a dougnut, lo mein, egg drop soup, minestrone with a scary thickener, garlic green beans, mashed potatoes, shrimp fried rice, chicken yakisoba, roasted red potato, stuffing, salmon with capers and a creamy oily sauce, tilapia with shrimp and capers and a creamy oily sauce, roast turkey and gravy, corn on the cob (Milan, what does the 'C' in corn stand for?), sweet potatoes drowned in cinnamon and marshmallow, carrot cake with cream cheese frosting, a little tart filled with pudding and fruits on top, chocolate cake, caramel-covered bread pudding, banana cream pie, lemon meringue pie, butter mints, Andes mints, and CHOCOLATE MOUSSE.
Song for the day: Bobby McFerrin and Robin Williams have a recording of a live duet called "Beverly Hills". One line is "American Express, good old American Excess. . ."
1 comment:
god bless american food. such an array in one place! and in iowa of all places! though most of your list sounded absolutely, gut-wrenchingly disgusting, i will certainly miss american food when i have to leave the country again too. where else can you have mexican for breakfast, breakfast for dinner, and chicken nuggets at 3:00 a.m.? seriously. god bless american food.
Post a Comment