After much research, advice, and cost-checking, Nick and I decided to make our own wedding invitations. Although some couples are opting for e-invitations, I still like the tradition of a paper invite, despite the work and the fact that most people who receive the invites won't care one way or another. Still, tradition rules on this one. So much of what I'm doing, for this wedding, is inspired by the idea to really explore and experience the cultural traditions that are associated with a this significant ritual. What does it mean to be a 'midwesterner', an American, a bride in a white gown? What is the historical significance of each of the choices we make?
Well, part of it is the way it's announced, and part of the story is the choice of paper. We took a trip to The Paper Depot in Minneapolis and purchased scads of blue paper, which we painstakingly cut out into envelopes and inserts. (Okay, machines did it. But we worked the little machines.) We designed the layout. Nick glued together the envelopes.
My talented mother Mary did the caligraphy of each guest name.
I wrote the addresses. We three worked together for hours. (Thanks, Mom!) Then Nick carefully hand-stamped each of the invitations with cute little 'bride and groom' and 'peacock' stamps. I printed the guest addresses and return address stickers.
And then we carefully glued the invitations to the envelopes, put the pictures and the directions into the pocket, stamped and stickered the cards, and took them to the post office! FINISHED! Relief! (We joked: "I'm never doing that again!" And it's great that we don't have to!)
No comments:
Post a Comment