Our first stop was the Collegeville Orchard and Petting Zoo. The autumn apples were delicious, and the animals curious!
Next we visited the St. John's Pottery studio to meet Richard Bresnahan, a world-famous potter who studied with a "national living treasure" pottery family in Japan. Richard and his interns were exceptionally gracious and committed to their sustainable, local art.
Next, of course, the Abbey. A remarkable structure that always awes.
As required on every visit to St. John's, we took a walk out to the chapel. The Saint John's University campus is set on the edge of a very large glacial lake, Sagatagan. There is path around the lake that is likened to a pilgrimage where the goal is Stella Maris Chapel. The chapel has been recently updated, and its old glacial stone walls covered in stucco. Stained glass is now in the once-hollow windows. I expected to be saddened by the change, but it looks beautiful and the place still has the same peaceful spirit.
I hoped to do a little swimming once we reached the chapel, but the water was cooooold. Instead I waded and enjoyed the multi-colored granite stones and familiar view. The loons have already migrated but plenty of other curious birds listened in on our conversation. I am so grateful that this was once my home.
No comments:
Post a Comment