Some people travel to experience a new form of freedom they might not have in their native lands. Many travel in order to break out from the ordinary, learn something more about themselves, and make comparisons to their home. Please read the following article about some Japanese citizens on a trip to Italy.
Teachers in Japan are certainly held to extremely high standards as public figures. And generally, I see that as a good thing. But this story makes me sad... and sit up a little taller, in fear. On a daily basis I notice the relative lack of freedom that this society allows. Not just freedom of action, but also freedom of thought. Yet I am not held by the same expectations because I am a foreigner (the Japanese word is がい人, outside person). And I am leaving.
1 comment:
omg, that is quite harsh. the teacher at the end who said that he "heard that writing your name on the wall would bring happiness" really breaks my heart...
but at least one of the people in this story might get to go back to florence again. (granted, to remove the grafitti, but still -- a trip to florence is a trip to florence!) maybe there's a happy ending after all!
Post a Comment