In February it felt extremely dangerous to drive in town because of visibility issues. At intersections the 4-meter high piles of snow impeded sight lines and made me worry that I would crash into a car or pedestrian. So about a month ago, bulldozers took over the city center to shave the snow piles into meter-high mounds, and cart away the snow. Now those snow piles are finally melting. In the countryside the rivers are swelling with snowmelt.
In my ikebana class last night, the flowers from my arrangement were tulips and cherry blossoms さくら. The tips of some young trees have a reddish-tint, as if they are considering buds. Birds have returned. The sun rises and sets at around six, which is a lot of daylight. And today is our first day of RAIN. Bad news for the ski slopes, but good news for my spirit.
1 comment:
Hooray for spring! Wow, what a change your winter is from the West Coast's gradual seasonal shift. I'm preparing myself mentally for this being my last West Coast, gentle winter. Reading your post, I'm remembering what a joy and relief the first signs of spring are!
Post a Comment