Monday, September 24, 2007

Hiking, Camping, Eating




The past two weekends have been quite eventful for Nick and I. We are very fit!

Last week we hiked for three intense days in the mountains of Daisetsuzan National Park. The rainstorms on the first day would have discouraged most sensible people, but I had $3 plastic pants! Who could ask for anything more? The mountain views were spectacular, but my favorite part was a beautiful valley with melting glaciers, a rocky stream (we had to wade through, as it had no bridge), and lovely autumn colors. http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6776.html

After a long challenging weekend, the onsen was most welcome. Japanse onsens are amazing. The one we visited was in a very modern/clean youth hostel. http://park19.wakwak.com/~shirakaba/ The onsen had both a tiled indoor pool and outdoor rock pool nestled in birches and ferns. Heaven.


We missed the Furano Cheese Festival this weekend, but instead drove to Lake Shikotsu, a crater lake in Western Hokkaido. http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/location/regional/hokkaido/sikotuko.html The purpose was to party/camp with our Kiwi friend Leon and our JET friend Catherine. Wow, did we eat! We had various fish and vegetables on the BBQ from 4PM until noon the next day. I even grilled my banana. Yum.





On the drive back, Nick and I celebrated our anniversary with a great Chinese dinner. I don`t know what we ate, as Chinese food is even more mysterious than Japanse, but it was good. For desert we had the most amazing tiramasu parfait made with ice cream, corn flakes, tiramasu cheesecake, whipped cream, caramel, and pudding. Wow.

No comments: