Mmkay, I've signed the papers. I am leaving the country August 3 to teach in Japan with the JET Program. http://www.jetprogramme.org/ "The Japan Exchange and Teaching (JET) Programme aims to promote grass roots internationalisation at the local level by inviting young overseas graduates to assist in international exchange and foreign language education in local governments, boards of education and elementary, junior and senior high schools throughout Japan. It seeks to foster ties between Japanese citizens (mainly youth) and JET participants at the person-to-person level."
This program is the most well-known, well-connected of all the programs we've researched in Japan. It was extremely difficult to get in: there were over 16,000 applicants this year and they only chose a couple thousand. The application was 60+ pages long, no kidding. The interview was challenging. They asked accusatory questions like "Do you drink?" to which I replied "Yes! I am likely a little older than many other applicants and over that college phase of binge-drinking. . . But I am aware that I'll be expected to drink with my Japanese coworkers. I like sake and wine and am passionate about beers. So, yes, but not too much." They liked my answer. I hear that my Japanese friends will drink me under the table, and I'm okay with that. :) In the interview they also asked what I will do when/if my principal expects me to make tea for everyone, because in Japan women are expected to serve men. I'm not sure whether I'll make really bad tea (so that I'm not asked again), learn to make good tea (an excellent skill!), or invite/insist my male coworkers help me (cultural exchange goes two ways!). . .
Sometime in May, we will hear the location of our placement in Japan. I was able to request certain regional preferences (Nick and I prefer a rural location) but have no idea where we'll go. Disconcerting, scary. Once we are notified of placement, Nick will apply for schools/programs in that same town.
Everything is coming together and we trust that the Universe will provide!
1 comment:
So Nick is going to go to, just not sure if he will get a place in the same area or not? Call me sweetness!
Tracie F.
Post a Comment