I'm reading CUNT by Inga Musico. The title of the book raises a few eyebrows, but DO READ (all you men and womyn). The book is refreshing and beautiful and powerful; I feel awakend and renewed.
A related story: I recently had an argument at a restaurant. My good friend, an evolved and women-loving man, used the word 'pussy' to refer to someone who was weak, and I told him that word is offensive when used in that way.
I think we all need to take responsibility for our words, even if historically they were considered socially acceptable. Some words are no longer are ok. For example, I'm really trying to break the habit of using the word 'lame', in consideration of less-able-bodied people. It is painful to challenge myself in this way. It also takes courage to identify and admit how the negative aspects of our culture penetrate even the most open-minded, women-loving of people. It takes courage to be responsible for the words that come out of MY mouth, whether or not others acknowledge them as oppressive.
Soapbox: It is not okay to insult someone by calling them a girl, or saying that they have bad girl parts. Just because everybody does it doesn't make it right.
That being said, I'm wondering how I can challenge my friends, my culture, in ways that inspire (rather than forcibly insist upon) positive change. I like that I am opinionated and intentional with my words/actions; at the same time I don't want my expression of opinions to be oppressive to those around me. Judge not!
2 comments:
what's this? you have a blog now? how did that happen, miss luddite? now all you need is a computer of your own and you're all set!
your point about not saying "lame" is a good one, though i wonder how many disabled people call themselves "lame"? if they don't call themselves that, then is it okay to use/say? maybe not... because mentally impaired people don't call themselves "retarded" and yet it's still an inappropriate thing to say. i don't know. what do you think?
yay for you and your blog!
Grrrl, you rock! I'm reading Inga's "Autobiography of a Blue Eyed Devil: My Life and Times in a Racist, Imperialist Society." She is an AMAZING womyn! Her books are life-altering, afferming, and revolutionary. Looks like I'm back to my PC ways!
Post a Comment